This blog is to chronicle the ups and downs of life with one medically complex toddler, one angel baby and one high risk pregnancy. This is our journey.

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Best big brother!




Alex is going to be the best big brother! We've had a 2 month old baby visit us a few times and Alex is so interested and gentle!
I've had a really hard time getting good pictures of Alex in the past few months. As soon as I see an opportunity, Alex sees me and the camera then stops whatever he is doing to grab the camera. Then, I mostly get a picture of his thumb, or half his face.
We made a change to increase his calories and we've really struggled. The increased calories have caused some delayed gastric emptying. After an hour long session with a dietitian, I think we've come up with a good plan...one that hopefully involves very little vomiting.
Also on a good note...I'm on the books for an amnio done by MFM (the high risk docs) on April 16. My doc felt uncomfortable doing it based on where my placenta is...Then those results get run stat and I SHOULD be good to deliver the next day (the 17th!) which I'm scheduled. If lungs come back immature we will repeat that whole thing the following week. I've gotten a bunch of questions about what the deal is with the delivery at 36 weeks.
It is all risk vs. reward.
Risk of 39 week delivery? If I kick into labor before that point my uterus has a vertical incision on it which is much more likely to rupture (read :death)
Risk of 36 week delivery? Breathing problems for Caroline if her lungs are not mature.
So if lungs are mature at 36 weeks the safest option for both of us is delivery.
If not mature we wait a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment